Saturday, April 14, 2018

Review: A Love Letter to Whiskey

A Love Letter to Whiskey A Love Letter to Whiskey by Kandi Steiner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A "friend" told me to read this book. I use the term very lightly because what kind of friend tells you to read a book that you want to throw across the room?
Oh, a good friend who knows what I like to read. That's right.
Let's try this again.

A friend told me to read this book. She said I just had to meet Whiskey. HAD. TO. Like, stop everything you're doing and read this damn book. But me being me, I was swamped with ARCs and at that moment I believe I was editing book, so I told her I'd get to it when I could.

Fast forward a month later, because I'm a good friend like that, and I finally sat down and opened Whiskey.
And I was hooked from that first taste.
Sometimes, even when we know something is bad for us, we do it anyway. Maybe for the thrill, maybe to cure our curiosity, or maybe just to like to ourselves a little longer.
Jamie Shaw. Man, even as a teenager I knew he'd be something special. But I could have never predicted just how special, just how loyal, just how kind, and sweet, and perfect he would be.

B's best friend, Jenna, didn't see Jamie first, but it wouldn't matter in the beginning. All that would matter is that she did see him. And that would start the path of how ill-timed love can be. And how it doesn't always fit in with your plans.
But what if you secretly crave your best friend's boyfriend? What if, when she was gone, he called you? What would you do if you found yourself falling for the one boy who is off limits?
"But lines always have been pretty blurry with us, haven't they?"
Truer words, man. Truer words have never been spoken.

Let's get out of high school and fast forward to college. B's first day and she runs into Jamie (I'll give her the benefit of not knowing he attended school here because they stopped talking after he moved). Like, he's right there, behind her. You can see that sparkle, the hint of it being their time now that they were adults and the BFF wasn't an issue, and life was finally lining up perfectly for them. FINALLY! YES!!

Now this is the point in the book where I really, really wanted to toss my Kindle out the window. Just say fuck it and be done because this chick can't be this goddamned stupid. Can she? Oh, right. Yes, yes she can.
"I'm not sorry I kissed you, but I'm sorry I did it when you weren't mine to kiss."
Fuuuuuuck. Right? I mean, why does she have a fucking boyfriend? Let's be real here. Jamie is fucking perfect. He's her bestie. He's been the guy she has wanted since she first laid eyes on him. So, I ask this very important question: WHY DOESN'T SHE BREAK UP WITH THE BOYFRIEND? Seems like that would save us all a hell of a lot of angst and heartbreak and struggle. This is literally the best time for them.

But no. Because B is a fucking idiot. And that is basically what I have to say for the rest of the book. My friend? Yeah, she got tired of my messages because they all said the exact same thing: B is a fucking idiot.

Because she kept pushing this perfect guy, this guy who loved her unconditionally, this guy who wanted her and fought for her and waited for her. FOR YEARS.

And she kept saying no. Like a fucking idiot.

So, why the four stars if I was so annoyed with this book? Well, Kandi Steiner made me feel. She made me hurt. She made me love and cry (yes, I fucking cried) and she made me want a drink. Of Whiskey. And because she gave us the most perfect of male specimens and put him through the fucking wringer. And he came out the other side just as good as ever.

Oh, and this. Because Jamie Shaw is a dirty talker. And I just love a dirty talker.
"If you didnt' mean even a word of what you just said, you have roughly seven minutes to take it back. After that, you're not allowed to say another word, not even my name, because I'm going to fuck you speechless."

Yes, please!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment