Sunday, April 22, 2018

Review: Infraction

Infraction Infraction by Rachel Van Dyken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So, I couldn't leave this world that Rachel Van Dyken created. I wasn't ready. When I finished Fraternize I thought I would just go back to the other books I have on my tbr.

Well, I thought wrong. I couldn't even concentrate on those other books--trust me, I tried. I have commitments and obligations and none of those were fulfilled.

I caved.

I downloaded Infraction.

I got sucked in.

Let's be honest, I'm a sucker for a best friend's little sister romance. I'm a sucker for football. And after the way RVD blew me away with Emerson's story, I just had to see what she had in store for Kinsey.

Had. To.

And that leads us to now. To the fact that I sat down on my couch after a day with my sister, and picked up this book. This Infraction. This book by Rachel Van Dyken. This world of football and cheerleaders and characters that wouldn't let me go.

I sat down on my couch.

And never got back up.

Not to eat or take a bathroom break. I didn't grab a drink or let the dogs out or look at my children (I'm pretty sure they destroyed the house). I sat on my couch, kindle held firmly in my hand, and my eyes glued to the screen.

And now, a few hours later, I am frozen. I am shocked. I don't have the words (you know, except all the crap I'm spewing here). I wanted light and fun and rom-com. I wanted best friend's little sister and football and, did I mention, fun?!

And what do I have?

This weird wet stuff dripping from my eyeballs. I don't cry. I had zero desire to cry. But here I am, blubbering like a hot mess because RVD just ripped my content little heart out and fed it to me.

I told myself with the Fraternize that RVD had the power to flip the script on me. She had the power to do the unexpected and catch me off-guard. I should have prepared for this. I should have expected her to do something crazy this time around, too. But my silly, silly brain ignored the warning signs. It ignored the fact that she had pulled the rug out from under me once before and that she was more than capable of doing so again.

And who was I to think I was safe in getting some fun football action? Who was I to assume that best friend's little sister wouldn't leave me with tears? Who was I to believe in something like the unwritten rules of romance and love and tropes.

She fooled me once, shame on her. But damn, she fooled me twice. Totally shame on me.

But it was worth it. Every single laugh--because I laughed out loud on numerous occasions--every single tear, every single gasp and pause and bit of heartache was worth it. Because in the end, it was perfect.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment