Friday, March 30, 2018

Review: Your Secret's Safe with Me

Your Secret's Safe with Me Your Secret's Safe with Me by Phoenix Rayne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.25 Stars

I've never read or listened to a Phoenix Rayne book prior to picking up Your Secret's Safe with Me.

I had no idea what I was getting or what would happen. I don't think I even looked at the blurb. I'm a rebel like that.

And apparently, our main characters are all rebels in some way. Except maybe Dorian. He seems to be on the up and up.

Cambria didn't have the best childhood. She went through foster care and orphanages, but never had a place to call home.
Instead of a place, she found people. A crew she surrounded herself with, lived with, worked with.
Until it all went south and she wanted out.

Trying to do better for herself and her bestie, Hayes, Cambria realizes doing better really means doing things legally. But staying on the right side of the law may not be as easy as she thinks.

When Cambria meets Dorian, she knows just how to play him to keep his attention. This is where I break off and tell you how hot Dorian is--because he is--and how kind and considerate and how he gives, and gives, and gives.
He's amazing.

And Cambria doesn't deserve him.
But despite everything set against them, these two find themselves drawn to each other. They can't stay away, they can't resist, and they can't get enough. The relationship develops very quickly.
And this is where I start to struggle. But only because I don't get Dorian. I understand Cambria's insta-love, but Dorian's doesn't make as much sense. Read the book, you'll understand why I say this.

But the twists in this book and the ending have me wanting to grab book two. I wanna see how this all plays out. Because you're getting some seriously dirty sex in this first book, but you're also getting a bit of suspense.

And that will have you wanting more.

My biggest complaint: the focus on the clothes and food. Seriously, I love detail in books, but I found myself wanting to skip ahead to get to the real meat of the story. Pretty sure there's an unintentional pun there. Maybe.

*I listened to the audio of this and was pleased with how easily it was to slip right into the lives of these characters. Before I knew it I was setting out clothes for Hayes, standing up to those who opposed me, and gettin' it on with Dorian. Well done.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment