Monday, March 6, 2017

Review: Don't Speak

Don't Speak Don't Speak by Katy Regnery
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 "We Can Make Our Own Rules" Stars

"Sometimes you just lend a hand because you can, not because there's a gun to your head."

Laire Cornish from Corey Island has been raised to be strong, hardworking, honest, and pure. She was raised to never take handouts and to never ask for help. She was raised to believe that at a certain point in your life--around age eighteen--you are to settle down, get married, and have kids. That's the way of life on Corey. You do these things and only these things. You sure don't go off and get involved with a dingbatter.
Erik Rexford from inland, NC. Doesn't matter where, really, because he's North Carolina royalty. He's the Governor's son. Born with that silver spoon in his mouth, he was raised to fill his father's footsteps. He wasn't to deviate from this plan because that's the way of the Rexfords. What isn't part of the plan? Runnin' around with an island girl all summer.

I'm going to go ahead and say Erik and Laire have one of the cutest meetings ever. "I have crabs!" I'm still laughing.

"Was it a good kiss?"
"Yeah. Top ten, for sure."
"Nine better, huh?"
"No, actually. I revise my answer: none better. Top one."

Awwwwwwwww, I melted a little here. I mean, is there anything sweeter than this?

"Darlin', I come here every night to be near you. I live for sunset like a vampire because that's when my heart starts beatin' each day, when I grab the keys to the car or boat and race over here to be with you. It makes me crazy all day to be away from you because I want more> I want to talk for hours and kiss you and find out what makes you laugh and...Damn it, Laire, this isn't enough."

So, what do you do when it isn't enough? Do you call it quits? Do you push for more? Laire and Erik aren't normal people falling in love. They are star-crossed, they are from two different backgrounds, they aren't meant to find one another. Their love should never be, but despite all of this, can they overcome those obstacles and hurdles that stand in their way? Will they persevere?

"It hurts to fall in love with someone. It hurts awful."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment