Monday, May 22, 2017

Review: Somebody Else's Sky

Somebody Else's Sky Somebody Else's Sky by Jessica Hawkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's hard to write a review for a book that was so perfectly written, a book that brought tears to my eyes, a book that broke me.

Because Somebody Else's Sky broke me.

"You wasted your time."
"Maybe I did,"
I said,"but time never feels wasted on you."

Lake is waiting for Manning. She is waiting for time to catch up to her love. She is waiting to turn eighteen. Eighteen is the magic number, at least she thinks it is. What's keeping Manning from Lake isn't just a number, but a whole world of life and experience. A whole world of hurt and pain. A whole world of fear. Eighteen is a nice number, but it isn't magical. And waiting isn't always what you want it to be.

I couldn't tell her I loved her. I couldn't tell her I didn't.

Oh, how I wish he could just say something! Something more than the nothing Lake is given. She knows though. She knows by the way he looks at her, speaks to her, can't hide from her. He may be hiding from everyone else, but Lake sees him. They are, after all, inevitable.

"You're what I want."
"But I can't be what you need."

But, but whhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! It's times like this that I just want to strangle Manning and Lake and Tiffany. Tiffany because she has some need to see her sister in pain. Some deep, twisted need that I just cannot understand. Lake because she puts Manning in a position that he shouldn't have to be in. Manning for not doing exactly what I want.

"You think I don't know how you feel? You think I don't carry the burden of our love on my shoulders just to keep it from crashing down on you?"


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment