Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Review: Thick as Thieves

Thick as Thieves Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There is nothing better than revisiting an old friend. And that's exactly what this felt like.

Gen may not be our leading character this time around, but you can feel his influence in every move the Attolian makes. You can feel it in the outside forces that intervene. You can feel it in the writing.

Megan Whalen Turner has this amazing ability to transport me to that exact moment. The moment in which Kamet is told he needs to leave, that moment when he meets the Attolian for the first time, that moment when Kamet is captured, the moment Kamet is freed, the moment he realizes there is more to the Attolian than what he first thought.

I felt like I was there. I was walking the road, traveling through the rocks, feeling the chains around my ankles, tasting the caggi, searching for freedom, running from the past, holding on to something not worth holding on to.

I was there.

The Attolian's true identity is kept from us for the majority of the book. This is another true MWT element. The element of secrecy, the element of the big reveal, the element of surprise. She writes it all so perfectly and so beautifully that you aren't only surprised when you realize who the Attolian is,but you feel like you should have seen the signs.

But you don't.

Gen. Oh, Eugenides. How I've missed him since reading The Conspiracy of Kings. I've missed his cunning ways, his devotion, his mystery. I've missed him. I almost forgot just how much I love Gen, but when I see the perfection of this book, I remember very quickly.

Because Gen is still powerful and he is still King of Attolia, Thief of Eddis.

Told with the same suspense, mystery, and foreshadowing as her previous novels, MWT nails it with Thick as Thieves. This book will keep you waiting for more, while feeling as if this chapter is closed.

Kamet has told his story thus far. What does the future hold for our Attolia, Eddis, and Sounis?

*I listened to the audio for this and Steve West is beyond phenomenal. Just freaking fantastic.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment