Friday, November 10, 2017

Review: Villains Rule

Villains Rule Villains Rule by M.K. Gibson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Okay, so I have a secret love affair with fantasy. But it's a hit or miss love affair because fantasy requires dedication, perseverance, and the will and desire to finish something epic. So, that being said, I typically limit my fantasy novels because they're lengthy, time-consuming, and a huge commitment.

Villains Rule comes in just under ten hours, which is nothing in the grand scheme of fantasy. However, it made it that much more appealing. Throw in the fact that this is a story of villains and numerous fantasy realms, and the protagonist is speaking to the reader--Yes, he's speaking to YOU--and there wasn't a single part of me that could say no.

I'm always a fan of the anti-hero, but as The Shadow Master kindly points out, he is no anti-hero, he is a villain. THE Villain of all villains. Jackson Blackwell sets out on a great quest, although I'm not sure he realized that until he was pretty well into it. And that makes it even better.

How many pop culture references can you throw into a book before it gets old? No clue, honestly, because with every reference to Star Wars, LotR, a yellow-eyed demon, red haired river folk, dwarves, gods, elves, and any other fantasy character you can come up with, I found myself laughing hysterically. I was constantly trying to piece the references back to books I had read or books I had heard about.

But really, I enjoyed every single minute of this book. I was never bored or confused or left wanting more--unless you count when I got to the end, in which case I want more. MK Gibson, can you stretch this into a trilogy? ;-) The fans demand it! Well, this fan does. Quite frankly, I don't care if others want it, I just know that I do. So, please?

I'm gonna revisit this book soon. I'm telling all of my friends. Lover of fantasy or not, this book is for anyone looking for something funny. This is fantasy for the 21st century. It's fantasy for the new generation. Or at least for the generation who loves a good laugh.

And a good trope. Because we all know fantasy sticks to its tropes.

"This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review."




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment