Saturday, November 25, 2017

Review: Shadows of Self

Shadows of Self Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 Faceless Immortal Stars

I read/listen to fantasy because I love the world building, the epic-ness of everything, the great battle scenes, and the characters. I always find the characters to be so full of life and passion, and their trials are never easy. Of course, they wouldn't be called trials if they were, but that isn't the point. The trials manage to catch our characters by surprise at times. They can be elbow deep in one trial and have truths revealed about previous trials that jeopardize their current path.

Sanderson does this flawlessly.

I didn't go into this book thinking I'd cry. In fact, I grab fantasy because no matter how involved they are, I'm not likely to shed a tear. And sometimes, it's that kind of buildup, that kind of magic, that catches me by surprise when the tears start to fall.

This is twice--minimum--that Sanderson has pulled tears from me. This is twice--minimum--that I have hurt for his characters. This is twice--minimum--that I have wished for the ability to go back in time to change things for those very characters who have me in tears now. Those same characters who are completely altered because of a few learned truths and revelations while in the middle of a near impossible trial.

Wax and Wayne are probably some of my favorite characters. There is chemistry, humor, love of brotherhood. There is something so real, so intricately woven, that Wax and Wayne are dependent upon each other, even when they believe they are not.

And the addition of Marasai and MeLaan (pardon my spelling, I listened to this awesomeness) that rounds out this little crew. Some could say a crew reminiscent of that of the Survivor. Each with their own strength, each with their own weakness, each with their own heart and mind. This crew will battle something big and I can't wait to see it happen. Not because I want to lose any of these members, but because Sanderson knows how to write a battle scene.

Can I say that I loved (view spoiler)

This is one of those rare times when I figured out something before it was actually revealed. I'm not sure why or what hit me to cause such a revelation within myself, but I did figure it out.
However, it was no less exciting or surprising when Wax and Wayne finally came to the same conclusion.

And what do I do now? The library has a waitlist 8 (I imagine this number was much more ridiculous when the book was released, but I didn't expect so many people to be listening to it now!) people deep and I need more Wax and Wayne. I need to know how Wax handles the aftermath of SoS. I need to know if he marries Steris. I need to know if something cool happens for Marasai. I also need to know what in the world is going on!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment