Thursday, March 2, 2017

Review: Something in the Way

Something in the Way Something in the Way by Jessica Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 Physical. Powerful. Painful. Stars

Do you need a book that burns so slowly you think you'll catch on fire before you get to the end? Even if you're saying no, I'm telling you yes. Yes, you do. You need this book. I promise.

Book one of a three book series by the angsty, slow-burn Queen, Jessica Hawkins, Something in the Way is beautiful. I don't know how else to describe it. It's taboo, yet innocent. It's forbidden, yet not. It's perfect and flawed.

I couldn't control my want for him. It just was.

Manning is the older construction worker next door. Quiet, reserved, and just looking to better himself, Manning is blindsided by the Kaplan sisters.

Lake. Innocent, naive, young. She sees Manning first. That's really all there is to it. She sees him because he made himself visible to her. If she hadn't looked so lost, so in need of something--or someone--he may have never appeared.

Tiffany. Strong, challenging, persistent. She sees Manning second. For Tiffany, it doesn't matter who saw him first, just that she saw him. She'll do almost anything to have him.

"You got a hot date tonight?" he asked.
"No," I said, almost defensively.
"You want one?"

I'm just going to say that I love this pick up line. I don't know why, but I can almost guarantee it would have worked on me. Plus, that boy is dreamy. All the girls wanted him, but what was his angle? Was he only into Lake because of Tiffany? Or was he really into Lake? I gotta know!!

Someone else would be her first love. Some other man would be the first to cherish her. The first to ruin her. It couldn't be me.

Can I go on record and say yes? Yes, it can be you. It'll be perfect because you are perfect. It'll be beautiful because the two of you, together, are beautiful. Just, all the yeses.

Lake had only ever been sixteen to me. Slow.
I couldn't get out of this parking lot. Slow.
This rare moment alone with her would end before it began. Fast.

I love Manning here. If I didn't love him before, I gave myself to him here. All of me. Because he not only deserved it, he would cherish it--and me.

You can't move the stars. Manning and I were inevitable.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment