Sunday, September 17, 2017

Review: Five

Five Five by J.A. Huss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 "Don't get her pregnant" Stars

Wow. Just wow. I've said it so many times you are probably tired of reading it, but fffuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkk. JA Huss is beyond freaking brilliant. I can't even begin to describe the ride i just went on, but I'll see what I can do. Because really? It's #FuckingFive and I've been waiting for him since he made his appearance in Guns. We knew he'd be amazing as soon as he took his Princess's hand and told Aunt Ronnie that he would take it from there.

Because he did.

He took it from there. And every single decision made was because he wanted to protect his sweet, naive Princess.

"Then promise me, baby. Just say those two words. 'I promise.' As soon as you do that, I'll give you everything you want. OK?"
Dear, God. I expected something epic with Five, I really did, but I did not expect this level of epicness. That won't make sense until you read it, but just know that Huss has way outdone herself with this. Five is a dirty talker, he's a pleaser, he's a genius, he's a robot geek, he's a lover, and he's a fighter.

Life is short. Time is finite.
No one seems to know this better than the members of The Team and those Company kids who got out. It was always a matter of time. We always knew the sins of the father would catch up sooner or later. But when?

Five is the word of the day today. Five is the man of the hour. Five. Five. Five.
You'd do well to remember this. Five is the man. Hands down one of the best Huss men out there.

If you've been following this cast of characters from the beginning, you're going to love it when their names appear here. Seeing some of my favorite people show up in these books is like going home. Home to a time that was fucked up, but still home and still a place of love. And lies. And deception. But that's the beauty of a Huss book, it's all lies wrapped in deceit wrapped in a pretty cover. You want one thing--and you will probably get it--but you're going to hurt in the process.

I cried. I almost shed a tear when I read the section heading for Part One. I'm a crier, I admit, but damn. Just a heading? Yeah, I knew this ride would hurt. I knew it'd be fantastic. And I just had a feeling I knew where it would stop.

And I was so close to being correct (and really, if you've read The Misters, it won't come as a shock to you either). I cried. I cried for Five. I cried for Rory. I cried for Spencer and Ronnie, the Shrike siblings, and I cried for me. Because I'm a sap.

And if you already loved Oliver, you're going to absolutely fall in love with his bad ass 12-year old self. Yes, he's already a bad ass. What do you expect from Spencer Shrike's only son?

But Five and Princess? This show is all theirs. And it's a show you want to see time and again. It's a show that has me looking for the time to re-read all 13 books, plus the HEA, plus The Misters. That's 19 books--20 if you count Five--that I want to binge before Mr & Mrs hits the shelves.

I need this. I need this right now. I need you to say yes and make promises, and never forget them.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment