Saturday, December 23, 2017

Review: The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) [Audiobook, CD, Unabridged] Publisher: Macmillan Audio; Unabridged edition

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) [Audiobook, CD, Unabridged] Publisher: Macmillan Audio; Unabridged edition The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) [Audiobook, CD, Unabridged] Publisher: Macmillan Audio; Unabridged edition by Robert Jordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't know what it is about a fantasy novel that keeps me hooked. There are crazy words that I have to decipher, there are backgrounds and information overload, there are so many characters I'm lucky I know my own name by the end, and there is always the good versus evil battle. I mean, come on! When will that trope ever get old?
The answer? Not today. And not 20-30 years ago when these books were written.

And Robert Jordan? Well, there's a reason he's a master of the craft. There's also a reason this series is fourteen books long (fifteen if you count the prequel).

Storytelling. World building. Magic realms, magic abilities, magic bonds. Rebirth. Growth. Life and love. Foreshadowing. Foretelling. Lust. Hate. It's all here. It's been here since book ONE and it's still here in book FIVE.

But, why oh why did I have to travel with a menagerie for the majority of the book? Why did I have to endure the "women are better than men" speech throughout this book? I mean, I get it, women are Aes Sedai, women are powerful in this world, women strip men of their power. However, there is nothing more contradicting to the "I am better than men" statement than going all googly eyed and tongue tied in the presence of an attractive man. I'm looking at you Nynaeve. I get it, Galaad is gorgeous, but use your head woman!

Really, Nynaeve was the most annoying aspect of this book, which is insane because she's always been strong before. That strength and stubbornness only hurt her in this installment (Birgitte, anyone?).

However, the women are strong. They are powerful. They are more. Even when they've been stripped of that power (Suwann, I'm looking at you) they are still powerful, just in a different way.
The addition of Birgitte is fantastic. The rising power of Elayne. The love Avienda finally gives in to. All of it is powerful. All of it is solidifying their place in the Wheel.

My other complaint? Where in the world is Perrin? I mean, are things all good in The Two Rivers? Why no Perrin? His connection to the wolves is one of my favorite things about this series.

And Mat. Oh, Thank goodness he finally decides to make a move.
Only to have it thrown right back at him. But good for you, Mat. Your knowledge and your power have served The Dragon Reborn well. And will continue to do so.

Overall, Robert Jordan has me wondering where this series goes. I'm sure a google search would answer that, but I'd much prefer to find out on my own. My goal next year: to finish this series.

The end has me asking what in the hell?! because who ends a book like that?! Give me more! Lan? Where is Lan going? Morraine? That can't be real, can it?! And I want to see what happens when Min, Elayne, and Avienda are all in the same place. That'll be fun.

Give me more!

Oh, wait. He did. Ten books worth.

*I listened to this and Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are phenomenal, as usual. It also accounts for my piss poor spelling of all things Wheel of Time.

The Wheel weaves as The Wheel wills.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment