Friday, January 12, 2018

Review: The Truro Murders: The Sex Killing Spree Through the Eyes of an Accomplice

The Truro Murders: The Sex Killing Spree Through the Eyes of an Accomplice The Truro Murders: The Sex Killing Spree Through the Eyes of an Accomplice by Ryan Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For anyone who follows me, this is so far out of my realm of typical reads that I'm sure you think I accidentally added this to my "read" shelf. Alas, I have a bit of a thing for true crime and have always been interested to see a bit behind the scenes into the human psyche. The Truro Murders allowed me to do two things: the first, experience what it's like to be in an abusive relationship where fists are not involved. Only unrequited love and a misplacement of trust and kindness. And second, the twisted way a mind can warp that love and allow you to follow someone so blindly, even when they are committing heinous crimes.

The Truro Murders happened in Australia in 1976-77. The country had never experienced a serial killer of this magnitude before, if at all.

This story, from the eyes of James Miller, the accomplice, shows the manipulations of a serial killer. The terrifying way Miller was controlled, the way he was able to turn a blind eye to Worrell's crimes.... I don't have the words for this kind of behavior.

But I do want to know more. Now I want to research, research, research these crimes and see them in a different light, a different perspective. I want to know it all--or at least as much as possible.

Ryan Green has given us an easy to read/listen account of something that should never be easy to hear or read. But he does this flawlessly, explaining the behaviors of both Worrell and Miller, and making the reader want to know more. More about Miller and more about Worrell.

**The audio of this is fantastic. The narrator makes you feel like you're there while offering a bit of detachment because no one really wants to be the accomplice of a serial killer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment